1. Watch the “How to Use and Care” video.
2. Download the OrthoPulse® app
For the iOS version of the app, you will need an iPhone or iPad running iOS 9 or higher.
For the Android version of the app, you will need to have an Android smartphone or tablet running version 4.3 or higher with Bluetooth® LE (4.0). Devices confirmed to be compatible include: LG Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S3, S4, S5, and Alpha, and Motorola Droid RAZR HD.
3. Log in to the OrthoPulse® app with your OrthoPulse® ID (your email address) and password.
When your doctor set up your OrthoPulse® account, a welcome email with your login information was automatically sent to you. If you have not received it, please contact us at email@example.com for it to be resent.
What can we help you with?
- If I complete two or more self-treatments per day will it increase the acceleration of my treatment?
Follow your doctor's instructions.
- Are there any contraindications for using OrthoPulse®?
OrthoPulse® use has the following contraindications:
- Use of osteoporosis drugs
- Use of drugs that may cause photosensitivity
- Poor oral hygiene
- Acute oral infection or periodontal disease
- I don’t have an account for the OrthoPulse® app; how do I set one up?
At this time, your doctor is the only one that can create your patient account. Contact your doctor to have one created for you.
As soon as your account has been created, you will receive a welcome email with your username and password so that you can begin using the app.
- Why doesn't my OrthoPulse® seem to charge?
If your OrthoPulse® has been on the charger for more than six hours and it is still displaying a yellow light when you pick it up, your device may not be charging properly. Possible at-home solutions include:
- Using a different micro-USB cable (any android cable will work).
- Using a different outlet in your home.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the charging case, wait 15 seconds, then reconnect the cable to the charging case.
- Wiggling the micro-USB cable to achieve a better fit in the device’s charging port. It’s possible the cable is not properly seated in the port.
- Resetting the device.
If your OrthoPulse® has been on the charger for more than six hours and it is still displaying a slowly fading yellow light when on the charger, your device is charging.
- Wait for the device to complete charging.
- Perform a reset on the device.
- Why does the status light on my OrthoPulse® show as solid red when I pick it up?
A solid red light can indicate one of two things:
- The maximum number of treatments in a day has been completed
- The internal clock of the device is incorrect
If you think you have reached the maximum number of treatments in a day (eight), wait a full 24 hours before attempting another treatment.
To fix the internal clock, you can sync the device with the OrthoPulse® app, which will reset the clock to the current date and time.
- For how long can the OrthoPulse® device store treatment data?
It's recommended that you regularly sync your OrthoPulse® with the app, as the device has limited data storage capacity. If you do not have access to the app, you must bring your OrthoPulse® to every appointment with your doctor for syncing. We estimate that OrthoPulse® can store treatment data for approximately two months.
- Does the light emitted by the OrthoPulse® cause eye damage?
OrthoPulse® uses low-intensity 850 nm (near-infrared) LED light, similar to security camera IR emitters, which are abundant. Furthermore, OrthoPulse® treatments turn on only in the mouth. When it is out of the mouth the periodic pulsing of the emitters is eye-safe.
- The device was charged overnight but it still won't start treatment.
Is the status light pulsing yellow or green (after the 60s bluetooth mode)?
If yes: it is receiving charge from the power source.
If the status light is OFF while the device is in the charging case, the device is either
- fully charged and will show a green status light when you pick it up
- or the device is not receiving a charge from the power source and will show a yellow status light when you pick it up
If the device is not receiving charge, confirm that all the cables are connected properly. You can also try plugging the charging case into another outlet or use the micro-USB cord to connect to your computer.
- How long does a battery charge last?
You can complete one 10-minute treatment (5 minutes each for upper and lower arches) if the status light is green after waking the device. The OrthoPulse® device should be placed in its charging case to charge its battery after each use. If the status light is solid yellow or pulsing yellow, the battery charge is insufficient for a full treatment, and it will require further charging.
- How long does it take to fully charge the battery?
It will take approximately 6 hours to fully charge the battery. However, we recommend that the device be stored in its plugged-in charging case.
- Does the device need to be cleaned after each use?
No, it is not necessary to clean OrthoPulse® after every use. We recommend that patients rinse the device under warm water once a week and set it to air dry on the charging case.
Make sure to hold the OrthoPulse® by the white plastic housing – do not hold it by the silicone mouthpiece.
- Why can't I see the light coming out from the OrthoPulse® mouthpiece LED arrays?
OrthoPulse® LED arrays generate near-infrared light, which is almost completely invisible to the human eye. In a darkened room you may see a slight red glow from the array as it pulses when you pick the device out of the charging case.
- The status light is not turning on when the device is picked up off the charging case.
If the status light does not turn on at all, this indicates that the battery is completely depleted. Plug the charging case into a power source to charge the battery for 6 hours. You may also hear the device chirp and see the status light cycle through the colour spectrum indicating a reset.
- Are there any restrictions when traveling with OrthoPulse®?
No - you can easily travel with your OrthoPulse®. We recommend the device be locked in its charging case and packed in carry-on luggage so that a regular treatment schedule is not disrupted.
The OrthoPulse® internal battery is completely safe for travel and contained securely in compliance with Lithium Metal Battery Regulations.
- Is OrthoPulse® latex-free?
The OrthoPulse® mouthpiece is manufactured from 100% medical grade silicone. It is not made with natural rubber latex.
- Is OrthoPulse® safe?
In order to receive regulatory approval in the numerous countries where OrthoPulse® has been approved for use, OrthoPulse® has been tested and verified to be safe for use.
- How do I treat my lower jaw?
After completing treatment on your upper teeth, remove the device and turn it upside-down. Once the status light is green, place the device in your mouth and wait for it to beep twice and for the status light to turn to blue. Your treatment is now in progress.
- How do I know if my treatment was completed successfully?
Successful treatment is indicated when the status light slowly blinks blue and the device beeps continuously. The OrthoPulse® may then be removed and flipped over to treat the other dental arch.
- What if I need to stop or pause a treatment?
OrthoPulse® treatment can be paused by removing the device from your mouth. The status light will blink blue and you will hear periodic beeps for 20 seconds. It is recommended that you complete treatments without any interruptions to achieve the full benefit of treatment. If you do not resume treatment within 20 seconds, the internal timer will reset, requiring a full 5-minute treatment to successfully complete the treatment.
- What if I see a defect / wear and tear on my device?
If you see any damage or wear and tear on the device, discontinue use and contact your doctor.
- What if treatment doesn’t start / the status light does not turn blue?
Ensure that the status light is green when you pick up the OrthoPulse® from the charging case before starting treatment. This confirms that there is sufficient battery charge. If the status light is yellow, return the OrthoPulse® to the charging case to recharge. Yellow indicates a low battery charge. Typically, the battery will recharge in about 3 hours.
- Can I move during treatment?
It is recommended to do treatment while sitting down, but you do not have to remain motionless during treatment. As long as the placement of the device is not compromised, you may read, watch TV, etc while completing your treatment.
- Are there any side effects with OrthoPulse® near-infrared light therapy treatment?
No side effects have been reported with this form of light therapy. You might, however, experience a warm sensation or tingling on the treated area, which is common and totally normal.
- When is the best time to do OrthoPulse® treatments?
We recommend that you complete your OrthoPulse® treatments around the same time each day in order to develop a sustainable habit.
Many patients find it helpful to do their OrthoPulse® treatments before bed so that they can “sleep through” any discomfort.
- Should elastics be removed for OrthoPulse® treatment?
As elastics may interfere with proper OrthoPulse® placement, we recommend that patients remove their elastics while they are doing their OrthoPulse® treatment, and replace them immediately after.
- How much pressure is needed when biting down on the device during treatment?
A gentle bite with only enough force to hold the OrthoPulse® in place is needed during treatment. There is no need to clench down on the mouthpiece.
- Should clear aligners be removed for OrthoPulse® treatment?
It is recommended that patients do not wear clear aligners (i.e., Invisalign®) during OrthoPulse® treatments.
- Can OrthoPulse® be used by those with a pacemaker?
At this point in time, we are not able to conclusively recommend that patients with pacemakers use OrthoPulse®. However, we are investigating this and will update this page with any new information.
- What if I miss my treatment, can I make it up?
If you miss your treatment, you can make it up the next day. However, OrthoPulse® devices are preprogrammed to limit sessions to 4 per day. This means that you will not be able to complete more than 2 treatments, of both upper and lower sessions, within a 24-hour period.
- Can I swallow during treatment?
Saliva can build up in your mouth during OrthoPulse® treatment, you may swallow as needed. Make sure to release any suction before removing the device from your mouth.
- My gums seem redder than normal.
Orthodontic treatment can make it more challenging to maintain optimal oral hygiene. OrthoPulse® will enhance blood flow in the jaw and gums which can cause already inflamed gums (due to plaque) to potentially become worse or be subject to bleeding. Conscientious brushing and flossing can prevent this from happening.
- Could the use of OrthoPulse® have any detrimental effect on young patients who are being treated with growth hormones?
No contraindication as far as we are aware.
- Is there advice to stop OrthoPulse® treatment during taking of antibiotics (photosensitivity)?
No. Only ultraviolet (UV) light may cause problems with photosensitivity. OrthoPulse® emits infrared (IR) light, which causes no photosensitivity.
- Is there any risk or concern using OrthoPulse® on patients who are being treated with biphosphonates for osteoporosis?
No. In fact this may be very helpful for these patients, as often they may have higher bone density and slower tooth movement.
- Does Advil use affect osteoclastic activity? If so, does Advil also affect OrthoPulse® efficiency?
Long-term use of NSAIDS like Advil (Ibuprofen) has been shown to decrease osteoclastic activity, which may reduce the rate of orthodontic tooth movement with or without OrthoPulse®. Occasional or infrequent use of NSAIDS does not have that effect.
- Is smoking a contraindication to OrthoPulse® use?
Not neccessarily. If a patient is a candidate for orthodontic treatment then they are a candidate for OrthoPulse®.
- Some orthodontists seem to indicate that smoking reduces the rate of tooth movement. Can OrthoPulse® thus lead to a greater acceleration effect for smokers?
OrthoPulse® causes regional blood flow, so theoretically, yes. However, we do not have any evidence to prove this.
- Are Botox injections a contraindication to OrthoPulse® use?No contraindication as far as we are aware. Botox binds irreversibly to receptors and thus, PBM appears to have no effect on this mechanism.
- Is multiple sclerosis a contraindication to OrthoPulse® use?
No contraindication as far as we are aware.
- How do I log into the app?
Use the email address and password you created when you set up your OrthoPulse® account. If you do not remember your password, or if your account was set up by an agent, you may click “Forgot Password” to reset your password.
- How do I sync OrthoPulse® with the app?
OrthoPulse® will automatically go into Bluetooth® broadcasting mode for 60 seconds when replaced in the charging case. This is indicated by a solid purple status light. Ensure that you have Bluetooth® enabled in the settings on your iOS device. The device will sync with the app when the device is in broadcasting mode and the app is running. Syncing is indicated by the status light blinking purple on the OrthoPulse® device.
- How do I download the OrthoPulse® app?
You can download the OrthoPulse® app by clicking one of the links below:
If you did not receive the welcome email please check your spam or junk folder. Be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts. If you still didn't receive it, please contact your doctor.
- Is the app available on Android?
The OrthoPulse® app is available for Android devices running 4.3 or higher with Bluetooth® LE or 4.0.
The current version of the app has been confirmed to work on the following Android devices:
- LG Nexus 5
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Samsung Galaxy S4
- Samsung Galaxy S5
- Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Motorola Droid RAZR HD
- I forgot my OrthoPulse ID Password.
Tap "Forgot Password" on the login screen in the app.
Make sure that you entered your email address correctly.
If you do not receive a password reset email, try quitting the app and trying again.
- Why won't my OrthoPulse® sync with the app?
To ensure that your OrthoPulse® is able to connect with the app, both your tablet/phone and OrthoPulse® must be in Bluetooth mode and the OrthoPulse® App needs to be running.
Check that the device is ready to transmit in Bluetooth mode. You can activate your device’s Bluetooth mode by picking it up and placing it back down on the charging case (a purple status light will be visible).
If this does not work, you may need to reset your device.
Please note that your OrthoPulse® must be paired to your patient account in order for the sync to take place. If you are unsure if your device is paired or not, please contact email@example.com.
- How can I reset the device?
This is done by lifting the OrthoPulse® off the charging tray and replacing it 3-4 times consecutively. When successful, the status light will cycle through the color spectrum and you will hear the device beep. You may have to complete the reset one or two times.
- Where can I buy OrthoPulse®?
Only licensed dentists and orthodontists can purchase OrthoPulse®. Please talk to your practitioner if you are interested in using OrthoPulse® during your orthodontic treatment. OrthoPulse® is available in the United States, Canada, the European Union, Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand.
OrthoPulse® providers listed on our Find a Doctor page are licensed orthodontists and dentists.
- Is there any contraindication for using OrthoPulse® for patients that have had breast cancer and went through radiation therapy and chemotherapy?
No known contraindication. From a cancer perspective, the only contraindication would be to be using OrthoPulse® in a patient with an oral / head and neck cancer or history of same (only from an abundance of caution).
- What do the status light colours indicate?
The pulsing yellow status light indicates that the device is in the process of charging but still does not have sufficient charge to do a treatment. Allow the unit to complete its charge before attempting treatment. When ready for treatment, the status light will show green; and when fully charged, the status light will turn off completely. You may also see the status light guide on the underside of the charging case.
The solid yellow status light indicates that the device does not have sufficient charge to do a treatment. Allow the unit to complete its charge before attempting treatment. Typically, this takes 3–6 hours. When ready for treatment, the status light will show green; and when fully charged, the status light will turn off completely.
A solid blue status light indicates that treatment is in progress. When a treatment session is complete, the blue status light will start to flash and the device will beep as follows: beep-beep-beep ... beep-beep-beep ... beep-beep-beep… If you pause a treatment mid-session, the blue status light will start to blink and the device will start a slow, repeating beep.